Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010

My 1st Warhammer Fantasy Battle with Dark Elves

Hags and Gentlemen,

Welcome to my first battle with Dark Elves. After reading www.druchii.net, I glued some miniatures and the slaughtery could begin with 1.250 pounts. This is my army list:

1 Sorc., Lvl2, scroll, sacrificial dagger (Chillwind, Black Horror)
1 Sorc., Lvl2, scroll, focus familiar (Chillwind, Soul Stealer)
10 RXB, shields, musician
10 RXB, shields, musician
20 Spearmen, musician
5 COK
5 Shades, GW
1 Assa, manbane
1 Hydra

My dear bretonian opponent fielded:

3 sorceresses (2 mounted)
2x8 knights
9 khights of the grail
25 bowmen, skirmishers, longbows


Early in the battle I tried to provoke a terror check by the two knights regiments with ld7. The bretonian bowmen were a real pain in the ass as they killed 6 rxb in the unit where my sorceress was hiding, so I marched with her in the second unit, where she casted Chillwind on the villagers and made it impossible for them to shoot in the next turn.


My hydra lost 2 wounds and fled. I´m not sure if she can do that, as she causes fear. Maybe she is immune to psyco or not, we didn´t know at that time. So we decided she would flee, but the knights didn´t roll 15 or higher, so she was safe.


Next turn I charged with my COKs into a knights regiment in order to overrun them and then threathen the back of the other knights with my hydra threathening them in the front. My shades charged the knights of the grail in the hope of keeping them in close combat for a turn so they couldn´t charge my spearmen with the sorceress within. It was a desperate hope, but a hope though.


The Shades and the assassin retreated, but instead of trampling me down and get stuck in a bad position, the knights of the grail rolled to low for pursuing and my unit survived. That was good, I decided to try the same thing next turn and keep that grail freaks out of business. Fortuna left my crying as my COKs failed to win the close combat against the bretonian knights. To get things worse they fled the subsequent turn, but were not overrun. The other knights regiment charged my spearmen, but the sorceress chose to flee, and so the knights moved into a position where they could be charged by the hydra, which has been whipped into the battle again.


All my fleeing regiments rallied and the hydra charged the knights killing some, but they hold ground. The bretonian bowmen, btw., couldn´t shoot for 3 turns now, because I always casted Chillwind on them ... nice!


Now here again a rules question. I´m sure, that each unit has to make just one terror check per game, but my opponent made one and they fled before the hydra. I´m sure they hadn´t to make that test, but as I have no rulebook, and neither has he, I trusted his experience. I didn´t expect that, but my shades made their ld check and stood their ground in the cc with the grail knights. Perfect! That unit was dangerous but they just couldn´t get into the real fighting in the middle of the table.


This is about the last 2 turns. My hydra finally got rid of her enemy and they subsequently fled 2 turns. They even fled through the bowmen, which decided to leave the table to. I continued charging the other knights regiment with my COKs so even they left the table. The knights of the grail were stuc on the left flank where they managed to kill my shades + assassin but in the last turn they just could maneuvre around and couldn´t charge anybody.

The last turn was over and after doing some math, I won the battle with a massacre. The things I learned are:

- Buy a rulebook
- Manbane vs Bretonians is crap
- Hydra is nice, but don´t count on your opponent failing his terror check
- Keep strong enemy units (like the grail knights) busy and away from important combats

2 Kommentare:

  1. Nice!! Good win and T.B.H, if I knew you in R.L. I would've said to always have at least one rule book on hand - saves on arguments and stops people trying to rules-lawyer/con noobs....

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thx for the handshake. I´ll try to get my blood crusted hands on a rulebook, so I can study it in order to maximise the slaughtery my Druchii can cause and minimise my losses. Its always disgusting to answer a rule question by starting with something like "I´ve heard from a friend..." or "One guy from Norway said in the Internet, that...".

    AntwortenLöschen